Thursday, October 30, 2008

Thing 11 - Getting "Flickr-fied"


(http://www.flickr.com/photos/9804670@N06/870426187/in/pool-365415@N25, jramb)

I've been exposed to Flickr before but did learn a few things about its many uses in the classroom!

The picture above was posted on Flickr by my son as part of a history course at NGCSU in 2007. It is of my dad, a 22-year Army officer, in the mid-1960s, training for deployment to Vietnam.

The picture is part of a photo-journaling project in which students were required to find 4-5 family photos that symbolized an historic era, post and tag them, then explain the historic significance of each. My son's era was the Cold War, since my own childhood reflected the moves of an Air Defense Artillery officer.

You can view the class set of pictures/projects HERE!

I truly wanted to do this project with my own history students last year but was unable to get our technology department to allow me to use my scanner in the classroom -- what a bummer! I may try again (begging may work???).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is a great project -- thanks for sharing it. Flickr really does have a lot of potential to enhance learning. I'm trying to wrap my head around not being allowed to use a scanner is your classroom? I thought technology support personnel were supposed to, um... support instructional technology applications?