Sunday, October 5, 2008

Thing 7 - All I Can Say is "WOW!!!"


I've been scanning articles in my reader now for days -- finding a few interesting tidbits and knowing I'd have to finally pick one to blog about in order to move on through this course.

Well, this morning something FANTASTIC happened! I was about to write about several sites I found for younger children (though I teach high school social studies) in the Infinite Thinking Machine blog post about the Freedom to Read. I discovered several great sites that actually read books to kids and offer a variety of pretty cool activities -- I'll pass them to my brother for my precocious nieces and nephews (you can look at these on your own -- I found something for ME!!!).

It's often difficult to "take kids back" when I find gaps in their social studies knowledge. Now, in terms of American Government, I have a few new tools!

My favorite is What Are The Parts of Government?
(pictured above)

Others include:

If you can't tell already, I'm SO excited about being able to link these to our course wiki so my students have another resource with which to remediate, increasing their knowledge and, ultimately, their ability to make connections (my goal as a social studies teacher).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

One of the best parts of facilitating this course is learning about the discoveries and resources folks find along the way.... I am glad you found some gems and excited to share your finds with some of my own teachers!